Thursday, December 18, 2008

I sure do love my christmas cookies!

I love chocolate chip cookies! If I could eat them with every meal I would! My wife Suzi developed a cookie recipe that is a little more "nutritious," so that I can indulge occasionally. You should definitely bake them up sometime.

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
1/2 cup organic whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup 7-grain cereal
1/2 cup golden flax seed
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup finely chopped almonds
2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
2 cups walnut halves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars, and maple syrup at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.

In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, and salt; sift once. Add flour mixture, alternately with oil, 1 cup at a time, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed, until smooth, after each addition. Fold in cereals, flaxseed, and chopped nuts.

Drop dough, by rounded tablespoons, onto prepared baking sheets; gently pressing flat with hands. Sprinkle cookies evenly with chocolate morsels and walnut halves. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.


7 comments:

  1. Thank you. I will certainly give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are one of my favorites and constantly requested! I found the recipe in a magazine that you gave an interview to and have since misplaced it. I'm so glad to find it here.

    By any chance, do you have the nutritional values that came with it in the magazine?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for trying the cookies! They truly are one of my favorites.

    I just pulled out the edition of Paula Deen's magazine that the recipe appeared in and I did not see the nutritional value listed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. could not find 7 grain so we used Piggly Wiggly brand organic 5 grain cereal and it worked great. PLUS, it actually made 5.5 dozen cookies. Really gets things moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the BEST cookies I make. I use Great Grains cereal dates and pecans. They are GREAT everytime and they have replaced what I thought was the best chocolate chip cookie recipe! My family would say "Ohhhh you mean these are not Jack's cookies?" I learned my lesson! Thank You!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these cookies!!!!!! It was once in Paul Dean's Magazine - my kids love them - i lost the magazine due to Hurricane Ike and I've been trying ever since to locate it! Thanks for posting it -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were vegan so I made these with carob chips, bob mills egg replacer and earth balance instead of butter and they were amazing. Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete